|BRIGADIER GENERAL ANDREW P. ARMACOST|
Brig. Gen. Andrew P. Armacost is Dean of the Faculty, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. He commands the 700-member Dean of Faculty mission partner and oversees the annual design and instruction of more than 500 undergraduate courses for 4,000 cadets in 32 academic disciplines. He also directs the operation of five support staff agencies and faculty resources involving more than $350 million.
General Armacost graduated with honors as an ROTC Distinguished Graduate from Northwestern University in 1989 with a Bachelor of Science in industrial engineering. He is an experienced operations research analyst, supporting a variety of Air Force and joint projects. General Armacost joined the faculty at the U.S. Air Force Academy as an instructor of management after completing a Master of Science in operations research as a Draper Fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He was selected to return to MIT to pursue a Doctorate of Philosophy, completing his degree in operations research before resuming his teaching and research duties at the Air Force Academy. He later served as chief analyst at Air Force Space Command.
Prior to his current assignment, General Armacost was the Permanent Professor and Head of the Department of Management, commanding 38 military and civilian faculty members, responsible for all curriculum, personnel, budget, research and long-range planning.
1989 Bachelor of Science, Industrial Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill.
1995 Master of Science, Operations Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.
1996 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2000 Doctor of Philosophy, Operations Research, MIT, Cambridge, Mass.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
1. September 1989 - July 1991, Program Manager, Integration Test Facility, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass.
2. July 1991 - July 1992, Commander's Staff, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
3. July 1992 - July 1993, Program Manager, Marine Corps Intelligence Center, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
4. July 1993 - July 1995, student and Draper Fellow, MIT, Cambridge, Mass.
5. July 1995 - August 1997, Instructor Department of Management, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
6. August 1997 - July 2000, student, MIT, Cambridge, Mass.
7. July 2000 - July 2007, Professor, Department of Management, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
8. July 2007 - June 2008, Chief Analyst and Division Chief, Analysis and Assessments, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
9. June 2008 - June 2013, Permanent Professor and Department Head, Department of Management, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
10. June 2013 - Present, Dean of the Faculty, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug. 1, 1989
First Lieutenant Aug. 1, 1991
Captain Aug. 1, 1993
Major Dec. 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2005
Colonel June 27, 2008
Brigadier General June 25, 2013
2001 George B. Dantzig Dissertation Award, Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
2012 Franz Edelman Laureate, INFORMS