|COLONEL BARTHOLOMEW W. "BART" WEISS|
Col. Bartholomew W. "Bart" Weiss is Commander, U.S. Air Force Academy Preparatory School, Colorado Springs, Colo. As Commander, he directs a one-year academic, military, athletic and character development program leading graduates to possible appointment as an Air Force Academy cadet.
Colonel Weiss was born in Muskegun, Mich., and is a 1986 graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He earned a Master of Science Degree from Marymount University in 1998 and graduated from the U.S. Army War College Carlisle Barracks, Pa., in 2006 with a master's degree in national security strategy.
Colonel Weiss commanded two operational flying squadrons in Europe and in the Pacific and one operations group. His previous assignment was as Vice Wing Commander, 22nd Air Refueling Wing, McConnell Air Force Base, Kan. He is a qualified Joint Specialty Officer and has served as aide-de-camp for two four-star flag officers.
The colonel has commanded units in support of Operations Southern Watch, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom and also served in Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. In addition, he led a 20-ship aircraft formation during Operation Just Cause. His peacetime operations include serving as Vice President Al Gore's pilot on Air Force 2 and augmenting the Air Force 1 unit.
In his capacity as Commander, 316st Air Refueling Squadron at Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England, Colonel Weiss led an operations team of 148 assigned aircrew and administrative management personnel supporting European tanker operations. He ensured operational effectiveness for State Department and Joint Chiefs of Staff missions as well as the movement of NATO, U.S. Navy, Air Combat Command, U.S. Air Forces Europe and allied aircraft through the U.S. European Command and U.S. Central Command areas of responsibility.
1986 Bachelor's degree in financial management, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1992 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 Master's degree in strategic leadership, Marymount University, Va.
1999 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1999 Armed Forces Staff College, Naval Air Station Norfolk, Va.
2004 Air War College, by correspondence
2006 Master's degree in strategic studies, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
2006 National Security Policy Program, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. May 1986 - March 1987, Candidate Counselor, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2. April 1987 - April 1988, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. April 1988 - June 1988, student, C-141B Initial Qualification Training, Altus AFB, Okla.
4. June 1988 - December 1993, C-141B Examiner Pilot, 15th Airlift Squadron, and Wing Training Officer, 437th Airlift Wing, Charleston AFB, S.C.
5. December 1993 - June 1998, VC-137B/C Special Missions Instructor Pilot and Squadron Executive Officer, 1st Airlift Squadron; Special Projects Officer, 89th Operations Group; and Wing Executive Officer, 89th Airlift Wing, Andrews AFB, Md.
6. June 1998 - November 1999, Chief, Air Operations, J33 Joint Forces Command; student, Armed Forces Staff College; and Aide-de-Camp to the Commander, Joint Forces Command, NAS Norfolk, Va.
9. July 2001 - November 2001, student, KC-135R/T Initial Qualification Training, Altus AFB, OK
10. December 2001 - November 2003, Director of Operations, 93rd Air Refueling Squadron, Fairchild AFB, Wa.
11. July 2002 - September 2002, Director of Operations, 369th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudi Arabia
12. December 2002 - May 2003, Commander, 28th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean Territory
13. December 2003 - June 2005, Commander, 351st Air Refueling Squadron, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, United Kingdom
14. July 2005 - June 2006, student, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
15. June 2006 - February 2007, Chief, Strategic Plans and Policy Division, Directorate, Total Force Integration, Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans and Programs, Headquarters US Air Force, Washington, D.C.
16. February 2007 - June 2008, Director, United States Air Force Academy Washington D.C. Office
17. July 2008 - May 2010, Commander, 22nd Operations Group, and Vice Commander, 22nd Air Refueling Wing, McConnell AFB, Kan.
16. May 2010 - Present, Commander, Air Force Academy Preparatory School, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: 4,900
Aircraft Flown: C-141B, VC-137B/C, KC-135R/T
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
Presidential Unit Citation
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1986
First Lieutenant May 28, 1988
Captain May 28, 1990
Major February 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel August 1, 2002
Colonel August 1, 2007