|CHIEF MASTER SERGEANT STEPHEN R. LUDWIG|
Chief Master Sergeant Stephen Ludwig is the Command Chief Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. He advises the Superintendent and senior staff on matters of military readiness, morale, quality of life and professional development of more than 9,000 permanent-party and cadet personnel at the Academy. The Chief also serves as the Superintendent's enlisted representative on numerous committees, councils and boards. The Academy provides a highly structured four-year regimen of military training, academics, athletic and character development programs to prepare outstanding young men and women to become Air Force officers motivated to lead American Airmen in the world's greatest air, space and cyberspace force.
Chief Ludwig grew up in Detroit and Hastings, Neb., and entered the Air Force in January 1984. His background includes various duties in precision measurement equipment maintenance, professional military education and three tours as a Command Chief. He has been stationed at locations in Colorado, Washington, Alaska, California, England, Germany, Italy and South Korea. His career highlights include being selected as a U.S. Air Forces in Europe Master Technician, an Air Training Command Master Instructor and the Air Force Professional Military Education Manager of the Year. Chief Ludwig was the Chief, Air Force Chief Master Sergeant Management Office before assuming his current position.
1985 NCO Preparatory Course, Royal Air Force Feltwell, England
1987 NCO Leadership School, Royal Air Force Upwood, England
1992 Associate Degree in Instructional Technology, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1992 Associate Degree in Electronic Systems Technology, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1995 NCO Academy, Kapaun Air Station, Germany
2001 Senior NCO Academy, Gunter Annex, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 U.S. Air Force Senior Leadership Course, Center for Creative Leadership, San Diego
2007 U.S. Air Force Senior Leadership Course, Gettysburg College, Pa.
2008 Air Force Enterprise Management Seminar, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, N.C.
2008 Keystone, National Defense University, Ft. Leslie J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2010 Bachelor of Science Degree in Electronic Engineering Technology, Grantham University, Mo.
2012 Strategic Mindset Course, Washington D.C.
2012 Master of Business Administration, Trident International University, Calif.
1. January 1984 - March 1984, trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. March 1984 - November 1984, student, Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory Specialist Course, Lowry AFB, Colo.
3. December 1984 - December 1987, Technician, Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory, 48th Component Repair Squadron, 48th Tactical Fighter Wing, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England
4. December 1987 - June 1992, Instructor, Electronic Principles Division, 3420th and 3450th Technical Training Groups, 3400th Technical Training Wing, Lowry AFB, Colo.
5. June 1992 - June 1996, Technician and Logistics Support NCO, Test Measurement and Diagnostic Equipment Laboratory, 48th Component Repair Squadron, 48th Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, England
6. June 1996 - July 2000, Instructor and Director of Resources, Kisling NCO Academy, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Kapaun Air Station, Germany
7. July 2000 - December 2001, Airman Leadership School Flight Chief, 31st Mission Support Squadron, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano Air Base, Italy
8. December 2001 - July 2003, Test, Measurement, and Diagnostic Equipment Flight Chief, 62nd Maintenance Squadron, 62d Airlift Wing, McChord AFB, Wash.
9. August 2003 - June 2004, Director of Education, Kisling NCO Academy, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Kapaun AS, Germany
10. June 2004 - March 2006, Test, Measurement, and Diagnostic Equipment Flight Chief, 86th Maintenance Squadron, 86th Airlift Wing, Ramstein AB, Germany
11. April 2006 - September 2006, Group Superintendent, 86th Maintenance Group, 86th Airlift Wing, Ramstein AB, Germany
12. October 2006 - June 2008, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 354th Fighter Wing, Eielson AFB, Alaska
13. June 2008 - Nov 2009, Command Chief Master Sergeant, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif.
14. November 2009 - October 2010, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 7th Air Force, Osan Air Base, South Korea
15. October 2010 - March 2012, Chief of the Chiefs' Group, Deputy Chief of Staff, Manpower and Personnel, Washington, D.C.
16. April 2012 - Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with eight oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
1995 John L. Levitow Honor Graduate Award, NCO Academy, Kapaun AS, Germany
1995 NCO of the Year, Third Air Force
1997 NCO of the Year, U.S. Air Forces in Europe
1999 U.S. Air Force Professional Military Education Manager of the Year
2001 John L. Levitow Honor Graduate Award, Senior NCO Academy, Gunter Annex, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Airman Leadership School Flight Chief of the Year, U.S. Air Forces in Europe
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman 1st Class March 14, 1984
Senior Airman Jan. 14, 1986
Sergeant Jan. 14, 1987
Staff Sergeant Oct. 1, 1988
Technical Sergeant May 1, 1994
Master Sergeant June 1, 1998
Senior Master Sergeant Feb. 1, 2002
Chief Master Sergeant Dec. 1, 2004
(Current as of April 2013)