Colonel Jeffrey H. Greenwood is the Space Force liaison at the United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado. As the pioneer liaison, he is charged with standing up the first-ever Space Detachment at USAFA, making it the premier commissioning source for the Space Force, and developing programs and curriculum to help motivate, inform, influence, inspire and assess cadets to commission the highest caliber second lieutenants into the Space Force. In addition, he provides a conduit between permanent party at USAFA and people and organizations across the Space Force. His previous assignment was as the Chief of the Space Enterprise Capabilities Division at Peterson AFB, Colorado.
Colonel Greenwood entered the Air Force in 1995, graduating magna cum laude from Concordia College and distinguished graduate from the AFROTC program at North Dakota State University in Fargo, North Dakota. He is a master space officer who has had two command tours, serving as an Air Officer Commanding for the “Wild Weasels” of Cadet Squadron 35 at USAFA and as the Commander of the 323d Training Squadron, Basic Military Training, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. He has served in a variety of air and space operations and staff positions, including tours as a space command and control officer for the MILSTAR constellation, and as an intercontinental ballistic missile officer for the MM-III weapon system. Greenwood also served on the staff at the MAJCOM-level, on the Air and Joint Staffs as an Air Force intern in the Pentagon, and as a Legislative Liaison officer on the Secretary of the Air Force’s staff. Greenwood is a two-time combat veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom.
1995 Bachelor of Arts - Mathematics and Physical Education, Concordia College, Moorhead, Minnesota
1999 Space Applications Advanced Course, Schriever AFB, Colorado
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2002 Master Aeronautical Science - Space Studies, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Andrews AFB, Maryland
2002 Joint Doctrine Air Campaign Course, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2003 Graduate Certificate – Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2005 Space 200 – National Security Space Institute, Colorado Springs, Colorado
2005 Air Command and Staff College (By Correspondence)
2007 Master of Arts – Counseling and Leadership, University of Colorado in Colorado Springs, Colorado
2007 Air Officer Commanding (ACSC Equivalent)
2008 Space 300 – National Security Space Institute, Colorado Springs, Colorado
2009 Space Warfare Preparatory Course – Advanced Space Operations School, Colorado Springs, Colorado
2011 Cyber Ops Transition Course (By Correspondence)
2011 Air War College (By Correspondence)
2017 Master of Science – National Security Strategy, National War College, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1995 - July 1996, Casual status/student, undergraduate pilot trng, 47th Flying Trng Wing, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. October 1996 - December 1996, Undergraduate Space and Missile Training, 392d Trng Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, California
3. March 1997 - July 1997, Milstar satellite vehicle officer student, 534th Trng Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, California
4. July 1997 - August 2000, Milstar satellite vehicle operator (SVO)/Milstar SVO instructor/Milstar SVO evaluator/Milstar “Delta” crew commander, 4th Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colorado
5. August 2000 - November 2000, Minuteman III qualification training, 392d Trng Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, California
6. November 2000 - June 2002, ICBM deputy missile combat crewmember/missile combat crew commander, 319th Missile Squadron, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyoming
7. June 2002 - June 2003, Air Force Intern Program, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
8. June 2003 - September 2004, Space Ops Instructor/deputy flt commander, 392d Trng Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, California
9. September 2004 – August 2005, Flight Commander, 533d Trng Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, California
10. August 2005 – February 2006, Operation Enduring Freedom: Counter-Narcotics Strategic Planner, CJ35, Combined Forces Command – Afghanistan.
11. August 2005 – May 2006, Assistant Director of Operations, 533d Trng Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, California
12. May 2006 – May 2007, Air Officer Commanding Masters Degree Program (IDE), University of Colorado in Colorado Springs, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado
13. May 2007 – May 2009, Air Officer Commanding, Cadet Squadron 35, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado
14. May 2009 – April 2010, Dep Chief, Operations Trng & Stan/Eval Branch, HQ AFSPC/A3TT, Peterson AFB, Colorado
15. April 2010 – August 2010, Chief, Operations Trng & Stan/Eval Branch, HQ AFSPC/A3TT, Peterson AFB, Colorado
16. August 2010 – June 2011, Dep Chief, Trng, Exercise & Evaluation Division, HQ AFSPC/A3T, Peterson AFB, Colorado
17. June 2011 – June 2013, Commander, 323d Training Squadron, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
18. June 2013 – June 2014, Chief, Congressional Operations, Secretary of the Air Force, Legislative Liaison, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
19. June 2014 – November 2014, Operation Enduring Freedom: Chief, Strategic Planner, CJ5, NATO Training Mission-Afghanistan / International Security Assistance Forces
20. November 2014 – August 2015, Chief, Space & Cyberspace Programs, Secretary of the Air Force, Legislative Liaison, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
21. August 2015 – August 2016, Deputy Chief, Weapon Systems Liaison Division, Secretary of the Air Force, Legislative Liaison, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
22. August 2016 – June 2017, Student, National War College, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
23. June 2017 – July 2019, Faculty Instructor, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania
24. July 2019 – December 2019, Chief, Space Enterprise Capabilities Division, HQ AFSPC/A5M, Peterson AFB, Colorado
25. December 2019 – July 2020, Chief, Space Enterprise Capabilities Division, U.S. Space Force, Peterson AFB, Colorado
26. July 2020 – Present, U.S. Space Force liaison to USAFA, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Master Space Operations Badge
Basic Cyberspace Badge
Basic Missile Bad
1994 Distinguished Graduate, Field Training, AFROTC, Shepherd AFB, Texas
1995 Distinguished Graduate, AFROTC, North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota
1996 Distinguished Graduate, Undergraduate Space & Missile Training, Vandenberg AFB, California
1998 Instructor of the Year, 50th Space Wing, Schriever AFB, Colorado
1999 Company Grade Officer of the Year, 50th Operations Group Staff, Schriever AFB, Colorado
1999 Evaluator of the Year, 50th Operations Group Stan/Eval, Schriever AFB, Colorado
2000 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2000 Outstanding Contributor, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2000 Distinguished Graduate, Missile Initial Qualification Training, Vandenberg AFB, California
2003 Distinguished Graduate, Basic Instructor Course, Vandenberg AFB, California
2005 Distinguished Graduate, NSSI Space 200 Course, Colorado Springs, Colorado
2011 Outstanding Graduate, Air War College (By Correspondence), Colorado Springs, Colorado
2013 Benjamin O. Davis Tuskegee Award, 37th Training Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant April 29, 1995
First Lieutenant May 12, 1997
Captain May 12, 1999
Major June 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2010
Colonel Aug. 1, 2016
(Current as of July 2020)