Col Shawn W. Campbell is the Installation Commander, 10th Air Base Wing, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. He commands a team of more than 3,000 military, civilian and contractor personnel who conduct base-level activities for the entire installation, including security, civil engineering, communications, logistics, finance, contracting, chaplaincy, legal, lodging, medical, military and civilian personnel and force support programs. The 10th Air Base Wing supports more than 4,000 cadets and a total military community of more than 25,000 personnel. He is responsible for a $150 million annual operating budget and serves as the Crisis Action Team Commander during all Air Force Academy installation contingency operations.
Col Campbell received his commission from the United States Air Force Officer Training School in May 1996. He has served in a variety of positions and functions at national, theater and unit levels, including having commanded the 375th Mission Support Group at Scott AFB, and the 62nd Services Squadron at McChord AFB. He has deployment experience supporting Operations NORTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM, and IRAQI FREEDOM. Additionally, Col Campbell was a National Security Fellow, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University. Prior to assuming his current position, Col Campbell served as the Director, Manpower and Personnel, United States Transportation Command.
1993 Basic Military Training, Honor Graduate
1994 Electronic Computer & Switching Specialist School
1995 Associate of Applied Science in Electronic Technology, Community College of the Air Force
1995 Bachelor of Science in Business Management, Newman University
1996 Officer Training School
1996 Civil Engineering and Services School, Distinguished Graduate
1998 Port Mortuary/Mass Casualty Affairs Course
1998 Services Combat Support Flight Chiefs Course, Outstanding Performer
1999 Services Mortuary Management Course
1999 Master of Business Administration, Southern New Hampshire University
2000 Squadron Officer School, Distinguished Graduate
2003 Contingency Wartime Planners Course
2003 Graduate Certificate, Organizational Management, The George Washington University
2005 Services Leadership Course
2005 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence)
2006 Air Force Strategic Policy Intern (IDE)
2008 Army Mortuary Affairs Officer Course, Distinguished Graduate
2008 Joint and Combined Warfighting School
2009 Air War College (Correspondence)
2013 National Security Fellow, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University (SDE)
2017 Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership
1. Sep. 1993-Nov. 1994, Student, Basic Military Training, 332d Basic Military Training Squadron, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. Nov. 1993-June 1994, Student, Electronic & Computer Switching Specialist School, 81st Technical Training Wing, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
3. June 1994-Dec. 1995, Computer/LAN Technician, 22d Communications Squadron, McConnell Air Force Base, Kan.
4. Jan. 1996-May 1996, Student, Officer Training School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
5. May 1996-Dec. 1996, Lodging Manager, 66th Services Squadron, Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass.
6. Dec. 1996-July 1998, Operations Officer, 66th Services Squadron, Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass.
7. July 1998-Aug. 1999, Executive Officer, 66th Support Group, Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass.
8. Aug. 1999-July 2000, Combat Support Flight Commander, 51st Services Squadron, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
9. Aug. 2000-May 2002, Combat Support Flight Commander, 52d Services Squadron, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany
10. Dec. 2001-March 2002, Chief of Services, 39th Aerospace Expeditionary Wing, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey
11. June 2002-June 2003, Air Force Intern, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
12. June 2003–March 2004, Chief, Fiduciary Oversight, Headquarters Air Force, Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Directorate of Services, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
13. March 2004–June 2005, Assistant Executive Officer, Headquarters Air Force, Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
14. July 2005–July 2007, Commander, 62d Services Squadron, McChord Air Force Base, Wash.
15. Sep. 2006–Jan. 2007, Deputy Chief and Acting Chief of Personnel Programs, Headquarters Multi National Corps Iraq, Camp Victory, Baghdad, Iraq
16. Aug. 2007–March 2009, Chief, Joint Mortuary Affairs and Services Branch, Logistics Operations Division, Directorate of Logistics, Headquarters United States Central Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
17. March 2009–July 2010, Executive Officer to the Director, Logistics Directorate, Headquarters United States Central Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
18. July 2010–June 2011, Assistant Deputy Force Support Services, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force, Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Headquarters United States Air Force, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
19. June 2011–July 2012, Chief, Director’s Action Group, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force, Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Headquarters United States Air Force, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
20. July 2012–June 2013, National Security Fellow, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
21. June 2013–June 2014, Chief, Total Force Service Center Operations Division, Headquarters Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC), Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
22. June 2014–Juy 2016, Commander, 375th Mission Support Group, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
23. July 2016–June 2017, Director, Manpower & Personnel, US Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
24. June 2017–Present, installation Commander, 10th Air Base Wing, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. Aug. 2007–March 2009, Chief, Joint Mortuary Affairs and Services Branch, Logistics Operations Division, Directorate of Logistics, Headquarters US Central Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., as a Major
2. March 2009–July 2010, Executive Officer to the Director, Logistics Directorate, Headquarters US Central Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., as a Major and Lieutenant Colonel
3. July 2016–June 2017, Director, Manpower & Personnel, US Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill., as a Colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Recognition Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
2000 7th Air Force Outstanding Young Americans Award
2001 US Air Forces Europe Services Military Manager of the Year
2001 US Air Forces Europe Company Grade Officer of the Year
2001 Air Force Lance P. Sijan Leadership Award
2007 Air Force Commander In Chief Installation Excellence Special Recognition Award
2007 Air Force Armed Forces Recreation Society Commander’s Award
2008 Air Force District of Washington Lieutenant General Norm Lezy Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 3, 1996
First Lieutenant May 3, 1998
Captain May 3, 2000
Major April 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2010
Colonel October 1, 2014
(Current as of June 2017)