Colonel Robert C. Bearden is the Vice Commander, 10th Air Base Wing, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado. He directs a team of more than 3,000 military, civilian and contractor Airmen who conduct all base-level activities for the entire installation including security, civil engineering, communications, logistics, finance, contracting, chaplaincy, legal, lodging, medical, military and civilian personnel, and force support programs. The 10th Air Base Wing supports over 4,000 cadets, a total military community of over 25,000 personnel, and executes a $150 million operating budget.
Colonel Bearden has held various positions in base logistics squadrons and commanded the 8th Logistics Readiness Squadron at Kunsan Air Base in the Republic of Korea and the 49th Logistics Readiness Squadron at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico where under his leadership the unit won the 2013 Daedalian Major General Warren R. Carter Logistics Effectiveness Award, naming the unit the Best Logistics Readiness Squadron in the Air Force.
Colonel Bearden was born in Las Cruces, New Mexico and earned his commission through AFROTC at Oklahoma State University. He is a career logistics officer and has served on the Air Staff and United States Transportation Command staff. Additionally, he has deployed in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM with service in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Afghanistan.
1997 B.A. Political Science, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma 2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2005 M.A. Organizational Science, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2007 Air Command and Staff College (by correspondence) 2007 Intermediate Development Education In-residence Credit; Air Force Intern Program, Washington, D.C.
2012 M.Phil. Military Strategy, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2012 Air War College (by correspondence)
2014 Advanced Program in Logistics and Technology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2018 M.A. National Security & Strategic Studies (with distinction), US Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
1. Jun 97 - Jul 98, Assistant to the Commander, AFROTC Det 670, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma. Later, student, undergraduate navigator training, NAS Pensacola, Fla.
2. Aug 98 - Jul 01, Assistant Installation Deployment Officer, 354th Logistics Support Squadron, Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska
3. Jul 01 - Jul 03, Flight Commander and Installation Deployment Officer, Logistics Plans Flight, 49th Logistics Support Squadron. Later, Flight Commander, Vehicle Management Flight, 49th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
4. Aug 03 - May 05, Air Force Intern, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
5. May 05 - Aug 05, Student, Advanced Logistics Readiness Officer’s Course, Ft Dix, N.J.
6. Aug 05 - Sep 06, Flight Commander, Vehicle Management Flight, 3rd Logistics Readiness Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
7. Oct 06 - Aug 08, Operations Officer, 3rd Logistics Readiness Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
8. Sep 08 - Jun 10, Air Force Logistics Readiness Functional Area Manager, later Assistant Executive Officer, Director of Logistics, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. Jun 10 - Jun 11, Commander, 8th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
10. Jun 11 - Jun 12, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. Jun 12 - Jun 14, Commander, 49th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
12. Jul 14 - Oct 15, Chief, Strategic Engagement Branch USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
13. Oct 15 - Jul 17, Chief, Strategic Initiatives Commander’s Action Group USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
14. Jul 17 - Jun 18, Student, US Naval War College, Naval Station Newport, Newport R.I.
15. Jun 18 – Present, Vice Commander, 10th Air Base Wing, US Air Force Academy, Co.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major February 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2012
Colonel April 1, 2018
OTHER MAJOR AWARDS
Best Mobility/Logistics Thesis, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies 2012
Daedalian Major General Warren R. Carter Logistics Readiness Award 2013 (Unit Award)
(Current as of July 2018)