News>Commentary - Top 10 reasons to vote for The Bird
The Bird signs the back of Eric Hanson's t-shirt during Kids' Day at Falcon Stadium Aug. 22, 2009. The Bird is one of 16 mascots competing for Capital One's 2010 Mascot of the Year Award. (U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. Don Branum)
Commentary by Staff Sgt. Don Branum
U.S. Air Force Academy Public Affairs
9/8/2010 - U.S. AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. -- The Bird is up for the Capital One Mascot of the Year award at www.capitalonebowl.com/vote/main, and he needs your help to be recognized as the number-one mascot in the country.
Listed below are the Top 10 reasons, as determined by the Academy's Public Affairs office, to vote for The Bird. Drumroll, please!
10. Looks great in Air Force blue.
9. Much cooler than the Western Kentucky mascot. Seriously, that guy looks like an overgrown Tickle-me-Elmo.
8. Great chance to give a credit card company "the bird."
7. Paydirt Pete (University of Texas-El Paso) probably doesn't get the same career opportunities after graduation.
6. WWTBD: What would the Bird do? He'd vote for The Bird!
5. By far the most photogenic mascot. Sebastian (Miami) just looks ready to punch someone.
4. He'd vote for you.
3. He'll guarantee a duck in every pot and an F-22 in every hangar. (Not really, but it sounds good.)
2. He helps the other mascots with their engineering and calculus homework.
And the number one reason to vote for The Bird:
1. He's the only mascot brave enough to jump out of a perfectly good airplane for each home football game.
9/9/2010 12:50:35 AM ET I would like to vote for the Bird but the website is not playing nice.