Coast Guard Birthday
By Colonel Troy E. Dunn, Commander,, 10th Air Base Wing
/ Published October 26, 2015
1. Today, the United States Coast Guard celebrates its 225th birthday.
2. The Coast Guard legacy dates back to 4 August 1790, when President George Washington signed the Tariff Act authorizing construction of ten vessels to enforce federal tariff and trade laws and to prevent smuggling. The Coast Guard continues to serve as our nation’s maritime guardian and we are immensely proud of their contribution to homeland security. Furthermore, members of the Coast Guard provided invaluable support during current operations by assuring force protection for US and allied warships, escorting aid shipments to Iraq, and safeguarding captured enemy assets.
3. On behalf of the 10th Air Base Wing, Happy Birthday! Today, we honor our Coast Guard as one of the oldest organizations of the federal government and salute them for being "Always Ready!"
4. Colonel Troy E. Dunn, Commander, sends.
5. Internet release authorized.