PRINT | E-MAIL
Col. Joel R. DeBoer is the Commander of the 306th Flying Training Group, 12th Flying Training Wing, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo. The 306th Flying Training Group provides soaring, parachuting and powered flight as character building operations focused on enhancing the airmanship and leadership of USAFA and the Reserve Officer Training Corps cadets. The group also provides flight training for all Air Force officers scheduled to enter Pilot, Combat Systems Operator, or Remotely Piloted Aircraft training. On an annual basis, the 306th Flying Training Group trains more than 4,000 cadets and officers while operating the USAF's busiest day-Visual Flight Rules airfield (operational only during daylight hours).
Colonel DeBoar received his commission through the U.S Air Force Academy in May 1997 and earned his pilot wings at Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi, in 1998. He is a Command Pilot with over 2,200 total flying hours in fighter and training aircraft, and served as an Instructor Pilot and Flight Evaluator in both the F-16 and T-38 aircraft. Colonel DeBoer has held various positions at the squadron, group, major command and joint staff levels. His command experience at the squadron level was with the 560th Flying Training Squadron at Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas. Prior to his current position, Colonel DeBoer was the Executive Officer to the Commander, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command.
1997 Bachelor of Science degree in History, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2003 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School in residence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air Command and Staff College by correspondence
2008 Master of Science in Aeronautical Science, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University Worldwide
2012 Master of Arts in National Security Studies, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
2013 Air War College by correspondence
2017 Master of Arts in Strategic Security Studies, College of International Security Affairs, National Defense University, Fort Leslie J. McNair, Washington D.C.
1. Aug. 1997-Nov. 1998, Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training and Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
2. Dec. 1998-Sep. 1999, Student, F-16 Basic Operational Course, 63rd Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
3. Oct. 1999-July 2002, F-16C Fight Lead/Assistant Weapons Officer, 18th Fighter Squadron, Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska
4. July 2002-Sep. 2005, F-16C Instructor Pilot and Flight Commander, 63rd Fighter Squadron, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
5. Oct. 2005-Oct. 2006, F-16 Advisor, No. 18 Squadron, Royal Air Force of Oman, Thumrait Air Base, Oman
6. Nov. 2007-April 2009, Assistant Director of Operations/AT-38C Instructor Pilot, 435th Fighter Training Squadron, and Executive Officer, 12th Operations Group, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
7. April 2009-Dec. 2010, Chief, Fighter Training Branch and AT-38C Instructor Pilot, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
8. Jan. 2011-April 2012, Student, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
9. April 2012-March 2014, Executive Officer, Strategy, Plans and Programs (J5)/Deputy Chief, International Military Engagement Branch, Headquarters U.S. Africa Command, Kelley Barracks, Stuttgart, Germany
10. March 2014-Sep. 2014, Student, T-38 Pilot Instructor Training, 560th Flying Training Squadron, JBSA-Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
11. Sept. 2014-July 2016, Commander, 560th Flying Training Squadron and T-38 Pilot Instructor Training Instructor Pilot, JBSA-Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
12. July 2016-June 2017, Counterterrorism Fellow, College of International Security Affairs, National Defense University, Fort Leslie J. McNair, Washington D.C.
13. June 2017-June 2018, Executive Officer to the Commander; Chief, Inspection Division; and T-38C Pilot Instructor Training Instructor Pilot, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, JBSA-Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
14. June 2018-Present, Commander, 306th Flying Training Group, 12th Flying Training Wing, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. April 2012-March 2014, Executive Officer, Strategy, Plans and Programs (J5)/Deputy Chief, International Military Engagement Branch, Headquarters U.S. Africa Command, Kelley Barracks, Stuttgart, Germany
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,200 hours
Aircraft flown: T-3, T-37, T-38A, A/T-38B, F-16C/D and T-38C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation and Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation with oak leaf cluster and Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary and Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major Nov. 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2011
Colonel March 1, 2018
(Current as of December 2019)