U.S. AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. -- The Air Force Academy’s base commander issued an order warning anyone from entering the installation under false pretenses, March 26.
Base police will give copies of the order, written by 10th Air Base Wing Commander Col. Brian Hartless, to drivers at the south gate. The 10th ABW is the Academy’s host unit and Hartless is responsible the base’s safety and security.
Responding to the continuing threat of the COVID-19 disease, the base locked down to all but official business March 23, limiting access to those who work or live on the installation, or need medical or pharmacy services.
“We’re all in this together,” Hartless said. “These are all things we’re asked to do and comply with to make our communities safe during this crisis. We could very well be asked to do more as this situation evolves.” The letter, written and signed by Hartless, reads:
“You are hereby ordered to proceed from the south gate directly to your authorized location of official business. You are not to take any detours or make any stops at other locations on the United States Air Force Academy. Upon completion of your visit to the official business location, you are further ordered to proceed directly from that location, back out the south gate, without detours or stops at any other location on the United States Air Force Academy.
“Failure to comply with this order may result in your debarment from future access onto the United States Air Force Academy,” Hartless wrote.
Last week, Academy’s Superintendent Lt. Gen. Jay Silveria acknowledged the measures taken at the base to decrease the risk of exposure to the COVID-19 coronavirus.
“We all have to continue to work together and make sacrifices to protect the health of our personnel and the continued mission of the U.S. Air Force Academy," he said.
Shopping at the Main Exchange or Commissary is not considered official business.
Visit https://www.usafa.af.mil/Coronavirus to read about other measures the base has taken during the COVID-19 global pandemic.