U.S. AIR FORCE NEWS

  • SJAFB begins post-Irene clean up

    After winds and rain died down enough for crews to venture out, the 4th Civil Engineer Squadron put its Airmen to work cleaning up after Hurricane Irene starting Aug. 27.View the slideshow.

  • Dual-status commanders to support Irene relief efforts

    Defense Department officials announced the appointment of four dual-status commanders to support Hurricane Irene relief efforts Aug. 27, marking the first time the dual-commander concept has been implemented for a natural disaster.While others may be appointed in the coming days, the initial list of

  • Guard supports joint response, thousands deploy

    National Guard support to the joint response to Hurricane Irene was in full motion Aug. 27 as thousands of Soldiers and Airmen rolled out in multiple states to support civilian authorities.Guard officials at the National Guard Coordination Center here were tracking the storm and working with other

  • Panetta puts troops on standby for hurricane assistance

    Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta has issued a prepare-to-deploy order for 6,500 active-duty service members from all of the services to support hurricane relief efforts if ordered, Pentagon spokesman George Little said Aug. 27.On requests from states for the department to provide hurricane relief

  • Walter Reed closes, legacy lives on, commander says

    An ambulance carrying the last inpatient from Walter Reed Army Medical Center here slowly made its way out of the Georgia Avenue gate Aug. 27, pausing briefly for the crowd of flag-waving troop supporters and shouts of "Thank you for your service! We love you!"As the ambulance turned north on

  • Scott AFB supports bases evacuating from Hurricane Irene

    More than 20 aircraft from various East Coast locations began arriving here Aug. 25 as part of Hurricane Irene evacuation efforts. So far, Scott Air Force Base has received:-- Eight F-15C Eagles and 26 support personnel from the 125th Fighter Wing from the Jacksonville Air National Guard in

  • Obama, Panetta urge caution, preparedness for coming storm

    Millions of people along the eastern seaboard should prepare to face what may be a historic hurricane, President Barack Obama said Aug. 26."All indications point to this being a historic hurricane," he said, speaking to the nation from Martha's Vineyard, Mass."Although we can't predict with perfect

  • Air Force, AMC poised for Hurricane Irene response

    In response to Hurricane Irene heading up the east coast of the U.S., the Air Force and Air Mobility Command are postured to support relief efforts if needed, officials said recently.According to a National Weather Service report released Aug. 27, Hurricane Irene is currently a Category 1 storm with

  • JB MDL prepares for Hurricane Irene

    Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst is actively preparing for Hurricane Irene, officials here said.The base entered Hurricane Condition III on Aug. 25, which is declared when the weather forecast predicts the arrival of 58 mph or greater winds within 48 hours."Hurricane Irene is expected to be a