Follow the instructions below to submit a COMPLETE package to the USAFA HRPP.
If you are submitting research that is exempt because it is educational research (32CFR 219.101(b)(1)), submit your completed package to the Exemption Determination Officer (EDO). Please contact the EDO at 333-3277 for submission instructions.
If you are submitting research that is exempt because it qualifies under one of the other categories (i.e. NOT educational research), read the following submission instructions.
1. You ensure USAFA will support your study by providing the resources necessary for you to execute it. Refer to Procedures to Obtain Resources and Survey Approval for detailed instructions on how to secure appropriate approvals.
2. You ensure ALL investigators are current in their annual human subjects protection training. Refer to USAFA HRPP Training Instructions or step-by-step instructions.
3. You review the resumes of your investigators to ensure they have the appropriate experience to execute the study in compliance with HRPP requirements. As PI, you are responsible for any breaches in human subjects protection that occur. NOTE: If you have never conducted human subjects research before, you CANNOT be a PI; you must find an experienced researcher to be the PI and mentor you as the Associate Investigator (AI).
4. You complete the USAFA HRPP Determination Request AND secure the required signatures.
5. You submit your completed exemption request package to the HRPP Organizational Box, firstname.lastname@example.org by the monthly submission deadline with “Exempt Research Submission” in the subject line. If you do not use the correct subject line, your submission might not be viewed. This package must include the completed HRPP Determination Request with all signatures, evidence of resource approval, and current training certificates for all researchers. Note: the IRB office does not keep partial submissions “on file.” Please submit a complete packet. If a complete packet is not submitted, the HRPP Support Personnel will return what you submitted.
6. Once a complete submission is received by the HRPP, it will be sent for review and determination. If the reviewer requires clarification or additional information from the researcher, the IRB member will contact you directly. Be sure to “reply all”, when corresponding directly with your reviewer.
7. There are three possible determinations your reviewer can make: